Thursday, July 19, 2007

A few days ago, we were plowing some land into lovely rows, with the P.5 students (around age 10-11), so we could then transplant some tomato seedlings from the nursery to the newly plowed rows. I helped dig a little, and people usually laugh because they think I have never done it before, which actually I never actually have used a hoe. haha, I have done some gardening, but not like this.
By the way, kids carry around machete knives here like nobody's business. As we were in the field, the teacher handed a child a huge machete knife she had just used to chop down a small tree, and I was thinking in my head, gee, that would probably never happen back home. It even reminded me of a time with my host family, and the 1 year old was walking around with a kitchen knife about 7 inches long. Look out. haha.

"If you play the recorder with your nose, by the way, I give you a zero". -on judging a music competition.
Yesturday, I had the chance to attend a music workshop, and it was awesome. The facilitators were really good, and I really think music is so good for the soul, and could and will probably solve a lot of the problems the world is facing. I mean when I think about how music makes me feel, I'm like woah, this could solve anyone's problems... I guess we shall see.
At this workshop, I was faced with some challenges I think under normal circumstances, I would not be able to handle, small, but big, so,
If you want to step out of your comfort zone, do the following:
1. Don't use your fork or spoon tonight at dinner. Try eating with your hands. (Preferably rice and soupy beans, obviously something other than "finger food") and make sure at least 10 people are watching you do this.
2. Sing a song in front of 30 strangers. (I had the chance to sing "You are my sunshine")
3. This is just a random fact I learned, if you want to be a music judge, one of the qualities you must have is, to be sober. Yes, thank you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Music is such a powerful tool. I know it seems I can't go a day without my Mp3 player. Music is an artistic and creative outlet for so many. It is one of the great capturers of the human condition. There is a song for every circumstance. If there isn't, you feel inspired to write one, or search for one until it is found. Music also possesses a communing quality to it as you experienced first-hand for yourself. You listened, participated, and shared this experience with the people of Uganda.
P.S. You so got off easy with "You are my sunshine." But points for at least having the courage.

Alex said...

words of wisdom, for sure haha.

speaking of music and art, have you been doing any painting while you've been there?? if so, you oughta put up some pictures of them :-)
glad to hear things are pretty well
love!

Anonymous said...

Love the new photos, and your blog. I miss you so much Kristy! You are the BEST!

LOve AK