Friday, August 24, 2007



This past week, we had a language training, and it was really nice. We stayed in a nice hotel, with hot showers and nice beds. We got to refresh our language skills, and I learned how to say, "I will beat you" and "Get a job" in my local language. I think it will be very helpful.

When I do speak the local language the people seem to appreciate it so much, and they laugh, and they really love it. In the market it is especially fun because you can make jokes and get better deals that way. I bought 3 necklaces for 200 Uganda Shillings each this week in the market, which is about, um not very much money (like 10 or 20 cents?), haha, math skills are not there.

Our language training was in a small town, Pallisa, so one of the nights, for our "cultural immersion", we went to the local brew spots to drink "malawa" which is fermented millet that is alcohol... it was good. It is served in a pot, warm, with a really long straw, and you sit around in a circle and drink. You can't drink too much, or you won't be able to walk home, so we just had a few sips. hehe. I felt very immersed.





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kristy, I just love your sky picture and you're right...it's God's art!! I love you and miss you more than every sunrise and sunset there ever was!!
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey Kristy. I just found out about this site from v-ball playin' stud parents. I've reviewed a bit of it tonight and will read it all as time permits. It is an incredible collection of thoughts, giving me a true perspective of your adventure. My words here cannot begin to express my pride in calling you my friend, my joy in knowing you are creating memories you will never forget and my respect for you in following your call to service. Love you always & think of you often - granville

Anonymous said...

Hi, Sweetie,

Just had dinner with your mom and dad, and got your address. I am so excited for you - all the cultural stuff you are learning and all the help you are giving so many people. We are very proud of you - and very glad it's you and not us.

If you need anything at all, let me know. I can mail it right away and you can have it in, oh, I don't know, 4 months (?) Seriously, anything at all - I can get it and send it over.

Keep your great spirits up, and can't wait to see you at Christmas. Everybody is fine here, and looking forward to your visit home.

Much love, Aunt Becky

Anonymous said...

KRISTY!!! I love your new pics! I also love Granville. His comment was so special!You are my best thing! I love you!
AK