Tuesday, September 25, 2007

It's your Uganda

A few weeks ago, a man slashing some grass drank a bottle of water, and once he was finished with it he just tossed it beside him in the yard.
One of my friends looked at him and kindly asked him to give her the bottle he just threw, and then she said, "I't s your Uganda..."
Pretty much what she was trying to say was that it's his Uganda, because we will be leaving after our service in 2 years, so if he doesn't take care of it, then who will?
This is quite a problem... no one facing the facts here... just looking the other way or something... so, I really like the statement made, "It's your Uganda..."
uh huh...

"Where are you going?"
haha, people ask this question hundreds and billions of times, like in your face, "where are you going?" haha, like they really want to know or something, maybe as if their life depends on it. It's really funny.

As I always say, public transportation here is really insane, and somehow out of control. If I were to die in this country, chances are highly that it would be due to some form of public transportation accident.
Perfect example, on the way into town today our taxi broke down and we were stranded on the side of the road for about 30 minutes until finally someone "fixed" the taxi... by "fixed" I mean the vehicle was able to move again. haha.
Actually it's pretty funny at this point, and mostly I just try to laugh.
More examples of recent:
The bus ride home from Kampala to Budaka (about a 5 hour bus ride), the woman sitting in front of me spit a big wad of spit out the window and it managed to land on my arm. I was like gee thanks. A few minutes later she spit again, this time the spit smeared all over the window, so I asked her, "excuse me, can you please NOT do that", ha, she said "sorry".
Then, I saw a miget walking down the street.
Then the woman next to me ordered some greasy street chicken on a stick and had me open her water bottle because her hands were too greasey... as she is eating, I am seated next to the window and she is beside me... so as she finishes parts of the chicken she flings the bones across my body out of the window. haha. Once again, I'm like gee, thanks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha to the spit on your arms and the bones launched across your body... cracking me up

Anonymous said...

Something tells me that wasn't chicken on that stick. Perhaps the spitting was a foreign custom, or good jesture you had yet to discover. Maybe you were supposed to spit back.

Alex said...

indeed its our earth... good call kristy