Monday, January 21, 2008

I am writing today, Monday, January 21, 2008 in Mbale Uganda. It's a nice day, the sun is shining, the town is busy, and the market was hopping earlier. I understand that the GIANTS are in the superbowl... very awesome.

Anyway, life here in Uganda is good... I have done many things since I have been back, and helping my friend Wesley pass out 8,000 mosquito nets was one of them. We were heros that day, and even though Wes did all of the work, I still felt heroic. He did a great job and we were all very proud for him, and if you would like to check it out, the website is here,http://www.againstmalaria.com/en/Distribution.aspx?DistributionID=231
As I have said in earlier blogs, mosquito nets save lives every day in Africa, so being a part of helping more families have the opportunity to have a mosquito net was pretty amazing.

The scary snake
A couple days ago I was talking to my Dad on the phone and I heard all this ruccus outside of my house... I didn't think much of it so I just continuted talking. The next morning my neighbor was like, come out here and look at this snake...
it was a 6 FOOT LONG snake! Holy crap, it was very scary! They were trying to kill it the night before and succeeded, but that was what the commotion was all about...
The snake had been around for a while and killed 20 of my neighbors hens! All they kept saying to me was, "can you imagine if it were in the bed with you?" I was like no, but now I will, thank you for putting the fear in me.
I posted a picture of it and as always the camera does no justice for the scaryness of the snake, but let me tell you, it was scary. Yellow and black it was... ooo, look out.

School is still not in session yet, so with some of my down time I planted some seeds, tomatoes and some herbs like basil and cilantro, the kids helped me hoe because they think I don't know how. We cleared out some of the tall grass even before I heard about the snake, so that was well done. I've been playing with my neighbors kids a lot, they come over and we draw, I show them some things they have never seen before like my solar shower... they thought that was really weird... I showed them my right hand pinky which I broke playing volleyball a few years ago and it's still messed up, they were cracking up at it. haha. They loved my painted nails, so I painted theirs, even the boys... hehe.. they loved that too.
It's funny all the things that may seem "normal" or "usual" to us that is totally foreign to them... for example, a microwave... most Ugandans I have talked to have never even heard of one and if you showed them, they would have no clue what it is... there are so many things like this that I never really usually think about...

I cleaned up our "computer lab"... I am putting this in quotes, because if you saw the "lab", it would not resemble a lab you are used to seeing... it's small, dirty, just a few chairs, and many other things about it that I want to help with. I was thinking we should get some flat screen monitors to cut down on the power and also some battery inverters because right now the power supply sucks so bad, but of course that costs money, that we "don't have". We have 25 computers and can turn on at most 4 all at once... it's insane and stupid... I'm trying to think of ideas on how to solve our problems... so if you have any, I would love to know. Thanks.

No comments: