Saturday, May 3, 2008

Mid-service, been here 15 months, woah dude.

I have just returned from our mid-service conference for the Peace Corps. This means that we have exactly one year left until we end our service and say goodbye. One year may seem long, but in reality I am thinking it will fly and next May will be here before I know it. The workshop was nice, relaxing and a good time to sort of sum up our thoughts and organize plans for the last year. We have been in country for 15 months now and I feel like I have learned so much over the past year but still have so much more to learn and see and understand about life here, my life and a lot more. The group that I came with last March was 50 volunteers. For various reasons we are now 44, but the workshop also gave us a good chance to hear what we are all doing at their sites and all the great work in general throughout Uganda.

Akon was supposed to come to Uganda, but he canceled so far... the papers say he's canceled 5 times in Kenya and now here... let down, woah.

Kampala has 7 main hills, and it's a beautiful city. The afternoons and evenings are especially nice, the wind blows and everything. I have been here now for a few days because I had to go to the dentist again. That wasn't really fun, but I am saving my tooth somehow.

Since I have been away for about 2 weeks, with the workshop and dentist, when I return, all of my neighbors will say, "you have been lost". They will ask me where I was, what I was doing, and the best is when every single one always asks, "what did you bring for me?"

3 comments:

Anfield said...

Hi , my name is Anfield and i live in Boston but im from Uganda. I loved reading your blogs, u seem to be liking it in Mbale :) Well i grew up in Kampala. I understand Akon finally came and performed, did u get to save and go to his concert?

u can email me if u wanna reply

kggranfield@yahoo.com

Have much fun!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristy, I haven't commented on your blog for a while...so I thought I'd just tell you how proud I am of you!! I love your garden!! I love you!!
Mom

Anonymous said...

May 2009 is so close I can smell it.
AK